General Class Information
- Locations: There are directions to each of our locations here http://www.esf.org.hk/about-us/our-locations/
- Arrival: Please ensure you arrive before the start of the lesson. Our teachers and assistants will be at the school to meet you each week prior to the start of the lesson.
- Teacher in Charge: All of our schools are managed by a Teacher-in-Charge. The Teacher-in-Charge is your point of contact throughout the programme, should you have any questions. Because they also teach their own classes, should you wish to discuss anything, we suggest you speak to them after your child's class has ended when they will be able to devote more time to you.
- Snack: We ask that you provide a small healthy snack for your child to enjoy during break time and for Kindergarten students, a spare change of clothing.
- No Adults Can Stay on Site during Lesson Time (Except Playgroup): For health and safety reasons, we do ask that all adults leave the school grounds once the classes commence. We will then welcome you back to school 10 minutes before the end of the lesson.
- Pick Up Cards: Some sites have a security pick up card procedure for safety reasons. Your site specific Teacher in charge will inform you on the first day.
- Student Alone Travel Consent: If you would like your child to be able to go home on their own, we do require you to complete a consent form. Please sign the Consent Form and return it to your Teacher-in-Charge.
Placement & Progression
- Placement: All of our students are placed according to age for the first lesson.
- Class Levels: All students will be assessed during the first lesson by their teacher to ensure they have been placed in the correct level for their language ability so you may find that your child has been moved to a different class for Week 2. Your Teacher-In-Charge will keep you updated on any changes.
- Students’ Work: Students will complete assessed pieces of work throughout the programme to ensure development and progression.
- Lesson Log: A lesson log will be completed after every lesson so you can find out what is happening in each class.
- Discipline: We also follow a code of conduct for student discipline to ensure the safety of your child.
- Queries: If you have any questions about your child's progress, please speak to your child's teacher or your Teacher-in-Charge at any time.
Reports and Open Day
- You will receive an invitation to our Open Day which is usually held on the last lesson of the programme.
- This is an opportunity for you to join your child in the class and receive feedback from your child's teacher. Your child will receive a progress report and attendance certificate (click here for a sample). We hope you will join us!
For Playgroup Only
- We ask that you arrive to the class no earlier than five minutes before the start of the class.
- Please wait outside the gate for classes at Tsing Yi or at reception for Hillside, Tung Chung and Wu Kai Sha. Your child's teacher will then come and welcome you and bring you to the classroom.
- Your Teacher is there to ensure your child enjoys their language programme and to answer any questions you may have. If you have any questions about your child's progress, please speak to your child's teacher any time.
- Only one adult per child is permitted to join the lesson as space within the classroom is limited.
- Please inform us beforehand if your child will be attending the class with a different adult.
- We ask that all adults and children take off their shoes when in the classroom, so please ensure you pack some socks!
- Please bring a small snack and a drink for your child, as we will have a snack time during the lesson.
Please note the following:
Mid-Week Classes - Classes cancelled if the red/black rainstorm/Typhoon warning is still hoisted at 12:00 noon. If the warning is lowered or downgraded before 12:00 noon, then classes will go ahead.
In the case of T3, classes at kindergarten venues are cancelled if the signal is still in place 2 hours before the lesson start time. If the signal is lowered to T1 before this time, the session will proceed as usual.
Saturday Morning classes (Classes starting between 9:00am and 11:30am) - Classes will be only cancelled if the red/black rainstorm /Typhoon 8 is still hoisted at 7:00 a.m. If the warning is lowered or downgraded before 7:00am, then classes will go ahead.
Saturday Afternoon Classes (Classes starting after 1:00pm) - Classes will be only cancelled if the red/black rainstorm /Typhoon 8 is still hoisted at 11:00 a.m.If the warning is lowered or downgraded before 11:00am, then these classes will go ahead.
We have these timings in place to ensure the safety of our students and teachers and also to ensure our staff can safely travel to and from our schools.
If you are unsure whether a class will be cancelled due to weather conditions, please check the News Section of our website which is updated regularly.
Should you require any assistance at all throughout the programme, please contact our office (tel: 2711 1280). Our office will be open from 8.30am on Saturdays should you require assistance.